Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Wake Up Now

For some time now, the one book I'd want with me during an emergency or should I ever be stranded on some remote tropical island ala Castaway--is Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth.

Well, today I fell in love with another book that feels like breathing a restive sigh into peacefulness: Wake Up Now, A Guide to the Journey of Spiritual Awakening by Stephan Bodian. In the first chapter I am reminded of my friend Pam, possibly it was she who recommended it originally.

Acquiring the book was slightly bizarre, because even though it was scheduled for delivery from Amazon today, UPS left a note on my door saying basically, oh, sorry, can't deliver this without your handwritten signature after I personally hand it to you.

I called UPS to complain that I've never had to do that before to get packages. The hotline UPS lady insisted they would deliver during my work hours, and not on weekends when I could actually be home, so if I wanted my book I must haul myself down to their distribution center in Orem. Which I was disinclined to do.

But after a few episodes of Two and a Half Men and some dinner (and after having complained via e-mail to Amazon asking them what they were smoking when they put such an asinine request on this shipment, because after all, it's a book, not an emerald bracelet), I decided to brave the night and it's inclement windy weather to pick up the book.

And so at 8:00 p.m. found myself at this HUGE UPS distribution center, and met a nice woman who talked about her 3 jobs (she's single) and who sheepishly admitted the mix-up might have been due to the newbie delivery guy (oops, sorry, Amazon).

Once home, in a hot bath, book in hand, the journey with Stephan began. And already he feels like a kindred spirit!

Now I must send an e-mail of apology to Amazon for being so testy.

But first, a quote from Rumi in Wake Up Now:
"I have lived on the lip, of insanity, wanting to know reasons,
knocking on a door. It opens.
I've been knocking from the inside!"


Credit: photo courtesy of amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment