Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A People Changed Forever


Stand With Haiti
First let me thank those of you who have been checking on me since the Emergency-room Episode, happy to report that le stone has come to pass. I never got to see it, but that's what the cat scans illuminated, and because of the three scans in one week, crossing my fingers that my insides stop glowing soon.

I was speaking with my mom recently about the devastation in Haiti, and she said it got so bad for her she had to stop watching for a time. She donated to orphanages, but suffering became too much to witness. I told her that I felt that same sense of helplessness, wanting to do something, anything, to help.

I ended up donating to Partners in Health, and one of the things I have appreciated since is their e-mail updates on what they are doing for the people and the progress they are making. (http://standwithhaiti.org/haiti/news-entry/the-city-is-changed-forever-evan-lyon/). Don't know why but that is comforting, seeing what's being done and that there is progress, however slow it might appear. And there are so many tireless agencies out there working hard to help. I'm including a shameless plug for PIH here for anyone looking for a way to donate.



Having just recovered from the kidney stone trauma, this Haitian earthquake quickly put things into sharper perspective for me. I cannot get over how much I have (not a lot by western standards, perhaps, and I'm happy that way) but compared to the poverty around the world and seeing what the people of Haiti are now enduring and overcoming, I can't get over the disparity.I mean food, shelter, western amenities like phones/televisions/computers/cars--it's a lot. I have all my children if not a husband, and family and friends alive and well.

But like I told my mom, there's more to this than the aching pain for a people who have lost so much. I feel hope and wonder and gratitude, watching the way the world has literally opened up its collective heart to embrace the people of Haiti, sending help and support and love in whatever way available.

As one of those folks who believes in the power of prayer (I call it good love, a phrase borrowed from Sandra Bullock as she accepted a Critics' Choice award last week, after she donated $1 million to Haiti--God I've always loved this woman's good-hearted nature even if she can't keep her lips off Meryl Streep) in whatever form you call it. I see it as the coming together of the hearts of all for the good of all in the form of the One -- love is universal energy connecting us at our deepest level.


So for me this last week has brought hope that there is still much good in this world, and that we do as a people care about each other, willing to lend a helping hand across political, religious, racial and cultural divides. I am hoping that with all this support, the energy of reform will come to Haiti as it rebuilds into the best possible version of Haiti, like Japan arose out of the ashes of a bomb so long ago. I'm hopeful with the guidance and support of the international community Haiti will be better than ever, as they pick up the pieces of their lives.

My heart continues to go out to them, for the courage they have shown in the face of their losses, and for the love they provide each other in these times. It's not an easy road.

So I continue to watch the Haitian struggle from my living room, sending good love and whatever else I can, and hope that they feel the care of their world-family having their back, finding amidst the debris, the loss and the recovery and rebuilding, a decent measure of...


7 comments:

  1. You've mentioned many powerful things, Lorna. Thanks for putting it all together in one post.

    Hope your recovery is speedy, with no bumps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize you had some health struggles. Get well soon!

    I feel bad about myself many times when I am not able to watch the devastation and suffering others are going through. I change the TV channel. I am weak and coward but it hurts so much. I also think that it is important that we realize how much more than we need we actually have, how much we could share. It is great when people like you speak up like this and make others, like me, lift their heads from the sand. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post. My heart goes out to the people in Haiti and all the wonderful hearts that are reaching out to them.

    Speedy recovery to you and big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you dear Janna and Miss Peach...hugs!

    Lori -- you are not cowardly or weak (that's my assessment, from reading your blog posts). Yeah, sharing what we have with one another might be what gets us all through the years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had the ability to express truth as eloquently as you do! Thanks as always for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you're feeling better, if still aglow. This is a lovely, compassionate and positive piece about an event that is almost beyond belief. Love your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jodi, and I have found you to be plenty eloquent!

    Deb: Thank you; coming from you that means a lot!

    ReplyDelete