Monday, May 25, 2009

Bringing People Together

It's Memorial Day here in the U.S., and my father sent me a news clip from Florida, where he is retired from the Air Force. His father also served in the military -- in the U.S. Navy.

This July 4th 2008 clip shows a flag ceremony in Siesta Keys (Tampa Bay, Florida area) honoring fallen veterans.

I love this story because retired Navy Captain Ralph Styles speaks so passionately from his heart. While I'm not normally big on patriotism when it divides people, I am aware that it can also unite, as it does here.

I love how this retired naval submarine commander--98-years old in this clip--brought his community together every evening at sunset in what became a neighborhood tradition, to honor those who gave themselves so that others could have peace. I find this very touching.

As you can see, young, old and everyone in between come together here: http://www.tbo.com/video/xml/MGB95UT79IF.html

Ralph Styles passed away in October 2008. May we remember him as he remembered his comrades and heroes.



Credit: photo courtesy of the Captain's Corner http://ezvideobizcards.com/ralphstyles/

No comments:

Post a Comment